Guided tours take place Monday to Friday (on weekdays) at 2 p.m. each day.
Special dates (especially for groups) are possible between 9.00 and 16.00 hours.
We ask you for telephone arrangement with Mrs. Gerlinde Majnik under +43 662 845346, or by email: email@example.com
The tour is scheduled to last approximately 1 hour.
Admission for adults: 5 Euro
Admission for pupils, students and groups of 10 or more: 3 Euro (accompanying person free)
Holders of a Salzburg Card valid on the day of the visit receive one free entry!
Offers for visitors and groups
In the birthplace of Georg Trakl, the most famous poet from Salzburg (1887-1914), a research and memorial site has been established since 1973, which can be visited as part of guided tours. As an introduction to life and work, a new, highly acclaimed filmic Trakl portrait is shown, followed by manuscripts and personal documents, as well as furnishings from the family's former home. In 2016, the memorial was thoroughly renovated and adapted for museum education (tablets, listening stations).
There are worksheets for the creative handling of Trakl's poems. Upon special request, films about the poet or examples of musical settings of his poems can be shown. The archive contains editions of works, extensive secondary literature, translations and literature by the Trakl Prize winners. Annotated references to the poetry boards in the city are available. ("Wege mit Georg Trakl", "Trakl's Salzburg Poems").
The Trakl House
The Waagplatz is historically important ground. It was already inhabited in Roman times (floor mosaics). In the 12th century, a building on the site of today's Trakl House was first mentioned in a document (1181). Among the changing owners were the Archbishop's Monastery Salzburg, the Monastery Admont, an uncle of Salome Alt von Altenau and Kaspar Freysauf, from whom it was acquired in 1815 by the merchant F. A. Schaffner; hence the name "Schaffner-Haus". In 1885 Tobias Trakl rented the rooms on the first floor of the Salzach side from his heirs as an apartment for the family. On 3 February 1887, Georg Trakl was born here at half past seven in the evening. In 1893 the family moved to the opposite house at Waagplatz 3.
The "Trakl House" has carried this name since the opening of the Trakl Memorial in 1973; it is now owned by the province of Salzburg and houses several cultural institutions. On the first floor, a memorial was set up by the Salzburg Cultural Association in the rooms of the family's former apartment. A testamentary donation of memorabilia from the family property by Mrs. Maria Geipel, the poet's oldest sister, and a small Trakl collection of the Salzburg Cultural Association formed the basis for the institution, which has been continuously expanded since then.
The most important addition was the acquisition of the Trakl estate from Erhard Buschbeck, a school friend of Trakl (1978). It was supplemented by a donation from Prof. Lotte Tobisch-Labotyn in 2008. In 1987, on the occasion of the 100th birthday of Georg Trakl, the memorial was expanded to a research and memorial site.
Management: Dr. Hans Weichselbaum
born 1946 in Freistadt, Upper Austria
Humanistisches Gymnasium Study of History and German Studies in Salzburg (dissertation on Georg Trakl)
Grammar school teacher (1972 - 2010)
Foreign editing 1984/85 (Xi'an, PR China)
Director of the literary forum "Leselampe" (1970 - 1984), member of the editorial board of the literary magazine SALZ since 1975, several times jury member.
Head of the Georg Trakl Research and Memorial Site and Managing Director of the International Trakl Forum since 1972.
Dr. Hans Weichselbaum
Head of the Georg Trakl Research and Memorial Site:
+43 (0)662 845346-77